COVID-19 Vaccinations on Wednesday 29 September 2021
Dear Parent and Carers
We have now received further information from the Cambridgeshire Immunisation Team who will be at Hinchingbrooke School on Wednesday 29 September to offer students, aged 12 upwards, their first Covid-19 jab (Pfizer). Please see the Parent COVID-19 Vaccination letter which was sent to parents on Friday 17 September.
In addition, here is a link to the government information regarding the ‘Covid-19 Vaccination Programme for Young People’. Please note that some of the information in the government guidance will be different to the arrangements at Hinchingbrooke, which is explained in the bullet points below:
- Students who are aged 12 and above on Wednesday 29 September are eligible for the vaccination. The Immunisation Team are also happy to give vaccinations to 16 and 17 year olds who are yet to receive their first jab, so long as they have registered on the Parental Consent system online, the same as the 12-15 year olds are using.
- Vaccinations will only be given to those students for whom a Parental Consent Form has been completed, online, using the link in the letter from the Cambridgeshire Immunisation Team (see link above). The consent form process closes on Tuesday 28 September at midday and you will not be able to give consent after this deadline. Parents can also register that they do NOT give consent for their child to be vaccinated.
- Please be aware that the NHS website on which parental consent is given recently crashed. We have been informed that the NHS is working hard to get the website working again, so please keep trying. If you do not have access to the Internet then please contact the relevant Student Support Officer for your child to get further advice; as online is the only way in which the NHS will accept parental consent.
- The HPV vaccines originally planned for this date will NOT be taking place as well. These vaccines have been postponed, but we are yet to be informed of a new date for them.
- The government’s information leaflet refers to ‘Gillick Competence’. The Cambridgeshire Immunisation Team will NOT be allowing students Gillick Competence and will only be giving vaccinations to students for whom parents have completed the online consent, by the deadline date.
- Students who are receiving the vaccination should wear their PE polo shirt (or short sleeved white shirt) on Wednesday, in order that the nurses can easily access their upper arm. Students must continue to wear their blazers and full school uniform on their lower halves (ie school trousers or skirt).
- We have not been given a ‘catch-up’ date for any students who miss the vaccination on this occasion. We will inform parents when we know any further details.
Please contact your child’s Student Support Officer if you have any specific questions that are not answered in the letter from Cambridgeshire Immunisation Team or in the Government guidance.