Sixth Form Open Evening
The Sixth Form open evening took place on 4th December 2012.
The evening was introduced by the Principal, Mr Andrew Goulding, please see his speech below:
I would like to begin by welcoming you all to this evening which I hope you will find both pleasant and helpful in determining your best course of action next year. One of the main purposes of this evening is to give you a chance to find out exactly what is on offer at Hinchingbrooke Sixth Form.
You will hear in greater detail in a moment from Mr Norris and Mrs Miller and 2 of our students, Hannah and Charlotte and there will be a chance to visit the department displays in the House.
Before all that though……….What makes the HBK Sixth Form special?
- We are the largest Sixth Form locally and offer a huge range of courses in 4 different pathways.
- Our Sixth Form accommodation is not only unique, but crucially, it also provides the very best of study facilities in a wonderful environment, well provided with independent study facilities exclusively for Sixth Form Students
- Our extra-curricular provision is outstanding, particularly in the fields of Music, Drama, Sport and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
- We offer an extremely well qualified and talented staff with a long tradition of successful teaching at Sixth Form level. Our success rate at University is extremely high. We have a very high strike rate for the prestigious Sutton Trust Universities and Oxbridge. Universities up and down the country have our students to read anything from Archaeology to Zoology, and the majority of whom get into their first choice.
Above all Sixth Form life here is exciting - it offers you opportunity, responsibility and excellence as a senior member of the school. It is an excellent preparation for University life, and indeed life in general, helping you as it does to develop independence.
Most crucially, we offer you help and support with your study and good quality guidance based on long experience to help you make the next step to University, College or further training. Our tutorial system is acclaimed as outstanding practice. Our staff care for you and guide you, devoting many, many hours to supporting Sixth Form students in a very personal way.
What do we expect of you?
- We look to our Sixth Form students to be good role models, to provide leadership for the younger students by setting the right tone
- We expect the highest standards of commitment, hard work and participation
A half-hearted commitment is no commitment at all !
- And we expect a high standard of dress and attitude towards your study
Coming back to this evening - this evening is about making the right choices - the right choice of school and, yes we hope you choose us, but also the right choice of course.
So here are a few things to bear in mind in making that choice:
- possible career, if known; if not then keeping your options open
- What you are good at - your choice of subjects should be appropriate and suitable. Be honest in this - it’s no good choosing AS and A2 courses in Ma, Fm, Ph, Ch aiming to be a nuclear physicist unless your GCSE results are likely to be As and A*s.
- what you enjoy - you are more likely to do well in the subjects you enjoy
Do not choose on the basis of
- what your friends are going to do
- which teacher you think may be teaching the subject
Please make the most of this evening. Use it to find out as much information as you possibly can so that you are in a position to make informed choices. And to those of you visiting us from another school - we hope you like what you find and what you hear. If you feel you need any further information after you have left tonight do not hesitate to contact us.
The application process is now open, the closing date is 1st February 2013. Please see the admission page for information on how to apply. All students who put in an application will be invited to the sixth form for an informal chat with a sixth form tutor, to check that suitable subjects have been chosen, and to give the student a chance to look around the school and have a talk with current students .
If you have missed the open evening and but would like to have a look around before putting in an appllication, please contact Hayley Weightman at email@example.com